As per the Income Tax rules, the linking of Aadhaar Number with PAN Card is mandatory to file your Income-Tax Returns. It would not be possible to file Income Tax Returns if your PAN Card is not linked with Aadhaar. The final deadline for linking of Aadhaar with PAN Card is 30th September, 2019 which coincides with the last date of filing income-tax returns. There are many people who have not yet linked Aadhaar with PAN Card. I am writing this post to guide you on how to link Aadhaar with PAN Card.
Moreover, the income-tax rule also mandates Aadhaar-PAN Card linking for any banking transaction above Rs. 50,000/-. If you want to do any banking transaction in excess of Rs. 50,000/-, your PAN Card must be linked with Aadhaar or else, you won’t be allowed such transactions.
In addition to the above, if you do not finish linking your Aadhar with PAN Card by the given deadline of 30th September, 2019, your PAN will be deactivated and it will become an invalid document.
Considering the above facts, it would be wise to get your PAN Card linked with your Aadhaar without further delay.
Things you must know before linking Aadhaar with PAN Card
There are few things you must check before linking Aadhaar with PAN Card. It will ensure that you do not face any problem during the linking process. You need to check the following points:
- You must ensure that your Name on Aadhaar Card and PAN Card are matching. It must be exactly the same in the right order.
- You must ensure that your Date of Birth on Aadhaar Card and PAN Card are matching.
- You must ensure that your Gender on Aadhaar Card and PAN Card are matching.
- If your Name on Aadhaar Card & PAN Card is not matching, you should either change the name in Aadhaar Card or change the name in PAN Card whichever is correct before linking the Aadhaar & PAN Card.
- In case your year of birth is not matching with PAN Card, you should change your date or year of birth before linking the Aadhaar & PAN Card
- If your Gender is not matching your PAN Card, you should change your Gender before linking the Aadhaar & PAN Card.
How to link Aadhaar with PAN Card online using Income Tax e-Filing Website
Income-Tax Department has provided a very easy method to help people to link their Aadhaar Card with PAN Card. I am explaining the process in details here:
- Open the browser(preferably Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox) in your PC.
- Copy this url: https://www1.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-FilingGS/Services/LinkAadhaarHome.html and press enter.
- The website as shown in the pic above will open.
- In the first field, enter your PAN Number.
- Now, in the second field, enter your Aadhaar Number.
- In the third field, enter your name exactly as mentioned in your Aadhaar Card.
- In the fourth field, you have to tick the checkbox only if only the year of birth is mentioned in your Aadhaar Card and the complete date of birth is not provided in Aadhaar Card. If the complete date of birth is mentioned in the Aadhaar Card, you should not tick the checkbox.
- Now, you have tick the checkbox where the text “I agree to validate my Aadhaar details with UIDAI” is shown.
- Enter the Captcha Code.
- The last field related to OTP is only for visually challenged users. They can opt to receive OTP instead of filling the CAPTCHA Code.
- Click on the “Link Aadhaar” button.
- A message will appear on the screen saying “Your request has been sent to UIDAI for validation of Aadhaar. Please check the status later by clicking on Link Aadhaar hyperlink in the Home Page.”
- Now, after 5 minutes, click on the URL that I provided in Point No. 2.
- You will find the text in the 1st line itself that “Click here to view the status if you have already submitted Link Aadhaar Request.” Click on the “Click here” link.
- In the first field, enter your PAN Number
- Now, in the second field, enter your Aadhaar Number.
- Click on “View Link Aadhaar Status” button. You will be able to find the status of your Aadhaar-PAN Card linking.
- If there is any mismatch of information in the data between your Aadhaar Card & PAN Card, the linking will not be successful and the related error message will appear.
So, you have successfully linked your Aadhaar with PAN Card through the Income-Tax website. If you faced any difficulty during the process, please share the same in our comments section.
How to link Aadhaar with PAN Card by SMS
The other simple method is using the SMS method provided by the Income-Tax Department. This method will be useful to only those people whose information on Aadhar & PAN Card are exactly matching. If there is any mismatch, you will not be able to complete the linking process. Let me explain the process:
- Open your Messaging App on your Mobile Phone.
- Enter the text in the given format: UIDPAN <12 Digit Aadhaar> <10 Digit PAN>.
- For example, if your Aadhar Number is 111111111111 and your PAN Number is AAAAA1111A, you should enter: UIDPAN 111111111111 AAAAA1111A
- After typing the message in the above format, send the message to 567678 or 56161.
- You will receive a confirmation message regarding your linking request.
- Your linking request will be processed and your Aadhaar & PAN Card will be linked in few days.
FAQs on linking Aadhaar with PAN Card
I have listed the frequently asked questions in relation to Aadhaar-PAN linking. Hope you will find it useful.
Can I file my Income-Tax Return without linking Aadhar with PAN Card?
Yes, you can file Income-Tax Return even if you have not linked Aadhar with Pan Card. But, the Income-Tax Department will accept your Income-Tax Return only after you have linked your Aadhar with PAN Card. If you do not complete this process by 30th September, 2019, your Income-Tax Return will be rejected by the Income-Tax Department.
I do not file Income-Tax Returns as my income is not taxable. Why should I link my Aadhar with PAN Card?
The Supreme Court has ruled in the recent judgement that it is mandatory to link Aadhaar & PAN Card for Income-Tax purposes. If you do not link the Aadhaar with PAN Card before September 30, 2019, your PAN Card will be come an invalid document. Since most of the bank accounts, postal savings accounts, PF, Mutual Funds, Demat Account, etc. are all based on PAN Card, all your accounts will be affected. So, it is necessary to link your Aadhaar with PAN Card.
Is there any deadline to link Aadhaar with PAN Card?
Yes, the Income-Tax Department has given till till 30th September, 2019 to link your Aadhaar with PAN Card. If you are unable to link it before 30th September, 2019, your PAN Card will become invalid.
Is it necessary to create a Login Account on Income Tax E-Filing website?
No, there is no requirement of logging in to your Income-Tax E-Filing account for completing the linking process. You can do it directly without login by visiting this URL: https://www1.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/e-FilingGS/Services/LinkAadhaarHome.html?lang=eng
What are the details that should match between Aadhar and PAN Card during the linking process?
During the linking process, your Name, Date of Birth (at least year should match) and Gender should match in both Aadhar and PAN Card for the linking process to complete successfully.
What would happen if I do not link Aadhar with PAN before the given deadline?
If you do not link your Aadhar with PAN before the deadline, i.e. 30th September, 2019, your PAN Card will become invalid. If the Income-Tax Department extends the deadline some reason, then your PAN Card may remain valid till the date of extended deadline.
Hope the above post provides sufficient information to help your with the linking process.
I have also written another post on linking Aadhaar with SBI account – How to link Aadhar with SBI Account